Saturday, June 17, 2006

Okay, so I got my first race in today at the new track here in Topeka, Kansas (Heartland Park Raceway).

Decided to run the R12S, knowing that the bike was a lot quicker down the straights and up top, but does not have the bottom end grunt (due to tuning) the R11S Thunderbike has. This is a cool track and the R12S did 1'52.332 in practice this morning and the R11S Thunderbike did a 1'52.602 in the 2nd practice. It was very windy with a strong head wind down the straight. I like the R12S, but until I get the right spring rates I will
A) not be able to get the darn thing stopped in time, needs way stiffer springs to get in deeper and more efficiently on the brakes. The rear is off the ground for almost 3 downshifts (front spring just bottoms out).
B) I have taken a good 3 to 4 millimeters out of the left head (smoothly). There is so much traction here that both ends hook up so well at full tilt it pull the heads down at the top of 3rd gear. Also wore a hole right through my toe slider and boot (little bit o' sock showing through), I need rear sets bad.
C) I will stop chewing up tires, I think the right springs will be at VIR for me next week... then its really ON!

I won the 30-minute GT Lights race today by 45 seconds. Just used it as a test for qualifying tomorrow. I think I will use ol' faithful and run the R11"50"R in Thunderbike and the new R12S next week. The Thunderbike brakes better and has the right ground clearance. Just down on power.


Thnks gang,

N8! Kern

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home