Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ok here we go; I am at a fellow BMW motorcycle owners homestead, outside of Kansas City, who was gracious enough to allow me to use his computer and garage. I dont know where to start. I qualified 2nd for the National Thunderbike race at Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas, which really shocked me considering the bike is all stock. The stock suspension was screaming for mercy, but allowed me to put it next to the pole sitter and current Thunerbike champion. I was really excited knowing that the next day for the national, our BMW riding community that was joining us for the races would have something more to cheer about.

WELL, we led the first lap, battled hard for 2nd and on the white flag lap (last lap), the Buell rider that was 3 points behind me in the championship and thatI was battling with for the second spot, crashed in front of me. At that same moment he crashed, I was letting out my last down shift and the clutch desintegrated.... (silence). The desperatly needed podium that had been in sight was gone. I thought it was the vulcanized peice of rubber in the drive line... nope, the clutch. I have been beyond hard on the clutch to make up for the soft spring rates, and not being able to turn the bike effectively without the proper geometry. I would turn the bike with the clutch while trail braking.

SO, Im really not that bummed because the R1200S in stock form far exceeded my expectations!

I am very beside myself that the BMW riding community never ceases to amaze me. Im at a new track in Kansas and the next thing I know there are BMW riders from all over coming to support us! Regardless of the drama that I feel I brought on myself by being brutal to my clutch, all the feelings I had going through me at that moment are wiped away by the genuine support received from BMW motorcycle owner's there and everywhere!

There was one young man in particular that stands out, he is a new R1100S rider at the age of 16. I think he started on an F650GS, but I know the torment he goes through at times for riding a BMW. Kevin was a corner "safety" crew member during the ASRA National weekend in Kansas. It was great to be able to go out there and show everyone that you cannot judge what Kevin, myself, and all BMW riders ride by their covers!

A very special thank you to a BMW dealer in Kansas City (Englewood as I recall?) to offer to help fix my bike before the next round at Virginia Intl. Raceway. A bit closer to the track and having the parts in stock, BMW of Atlanta knocked out the clutch job in no time!

Again, I love being a part of this community and know there is no other comparison in the motorcycle world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home