Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hey gang, I just got in from GMD Computrack in Atlanta. Took the R1200S there to see if there are some spring rates (stiffer) for this upcoming National Thunderbike round at Virginia Intl Raceway (VIR). Now that we are only 5 points back after leading the championship going into Kansas, I am a bit at ease regardless of what happened to the clutch in the last race. I hope to be able to capitolize on some practice sessions at VIR. I need to find a good base line setting, but we have run into an issue. There are no springs with the right length here in the states. It may be too short of time to get the right ones.

I am very happy with the new bike; out of the crate it showed me and the rest of the motorcycling world what it can do! With actual race set ups and non-street suspension... the Buell guys are already frustrated with what I could do on the R1100S!

VIR is very similar to Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas. There are elevation changes and blind turns, but for the most part it is a flowing track. VIR does not have as many deep trailbraking turns as Heartland Park, though.

If I have to run the stock spring rates, then so be it, but we are all missing out on the even better feeling of being on top of the box! Remember Daytona....?!

I really enjoy racing at VIR and I feel good going into this weekend for the most part. I really just need to get the suspension and geometry to where I know they can be! Depending on my ap times this weekend, I want the next biggest challenge that many naysayers think cant be done - AMA!

I'm going to go ride the bike now and see if the 85 spring that replaced the 62 (stock rate) spring is too stiff. The problem is, the 85 we have is 10 mm too long, which leaves no room on the shock body to back off pre-load. Considering that we are running Ohlins supension, I would hope they understand the value of winning on a BMW...

Cheers,

N8!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home