Wednesday, April 18, 2007

There is now wireless setup in the "pit box" as they call it over here. I will say when I was able to finally access my email here, I was greeted by multiple emails with a post that was on the PP board then forwarded to me. As people have told me, the better you get at anything or the more exposure you get, there will also be more naysayers and negative things said.
When I ever talk about what went on at a race weekend or lap times, I go by what was in front of me "on the bikes" lap timer. It is amazing though that there are people that come on here, have only one post to their made up name, and run....

Regardless, we are at the track at home and here. There is way more that goes on than the bench seat racer can imagine. So relax and just enjoy what we all have a common interest in.
SO, Tuesday was my first practice scheduled and was just for myself to test. Once at the track after the train ride here, the R1200S's modified sat there waiting. So I get my stuff on and at 3:45 was the time to ride. After a briefing on all the buttons and toggole switches, I was off. The bike has a really cool speed limiter that only works in first gear, on pit lane. You can pin it and it just has a stupid low rev limiter and it just sounds cool/funny.
The bike is nimble, the power is strong, and the brakes are unlike any I have ever felt!!! There is so much sensitivity in these big mono block Brembo radial calipers. Well good news or bad news first?! Ok I will give you good first, I saved it, the save of all saves! Beleive it "Coquina".
The first lap was just site seeing and getting a feel for the bike. The second lap I just pulled in for an adjustment.
My 1.5 hours of practice ended up with only about 15 minutes of total seat time as the back up bike was still being prepared. So what to an extent, I am ecstatic to be here and the crew is top notch! So I really needed to put my head down and learn this place for tomorrow (today)
Today practice was 1.5 hours and now the 4 of us share the bike. the first practice ended at Hintereiter 1"48 and change, Barth, 1'50.0, myself 1:51 and change, Rico 1:52.Second practice the 3 were all in the high 1:47's and I only knocked off .75 seconds. After an amazing onboard data logging system and a briefing with the data guy, I could see where I was rushing most of the corners and killing my exit. Using 2nd gear in 3 corners when I can use 3rd, when not rushing the entry. basically i need to relax and really work on the lines around this place. It is a real local yokle track for many riders and there are just some really good riders here, all on litre bikes! lol I mean seriously built superbikes.
Tomorrow is a day and night practice. I was positioned all along to be Mertens replacement as reserve rider. Reserve rider does not race, just there if something happens to the other 3. SO WHAT, again it is a great learning experience and fun to share with friends and supporters ( and non supporters) back home! lol
Im going to go now and just really look at the fine telemetry from the data system that breaksdown the actual length in meters that the gas is on/off and just as much as I can learn and sleep on.
Till later!
N8!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:59 AM  
Blogger jamie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Elsie said...

You go Nate! Enjoy the ride, the bike and the craziness that is Le Mans!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home