Friday, April 20, 2007

Right now there are teams going up and down pit lane practicing pit stops. air guns, rev limiters (60kmh pit speed maximum or $200 US dollar fine, 3x's and your DQ'ed), it is cool our bikes have only in first gear the headlight switch in highbeam rev limiter only allows 58kmh, and it like BABABABABABABABABABAAB really loud all the way to our pit box!

On my cool down lap today, thinking this may be my last time to ride this weekend, I really took a look around at all the people lined up everywhere. They are just fanatical and its great! They were climbing to the top of the fence to wave and be seen, and clapping to our BMW's sight on the track with the sea of HP (horsepower) around us. I knew they could apreciate in T3 and T4 the passes driving hard off the conrners and on the outside of riders, taking the long way around the GSXR1000's and R1's, just to be smoked down the straight, then having a very very tactical game of passing the rest of the lap. That kind of racing makes you really sharp in decision making skills as it may be the last decision you make, lol. I took the data guy's advice, as technical as he is, when reading the data from the previous days qualifying, he said "looks at ze spike on d graph..." commenting on where I spun the rear coming off a corner onto the back straight. It read I spun the tire for 1100 RPM's more than usual for 3 meters. I said "yeah I was trying to get a drive on this guy who was a maniac on this CBR1000. As subtle and crazy smart as he is, he says with a flying elbow otion "use dis and not harm bike" meaning take other evasive actions and not spin the bike up and risk something, lol.

I may have mentioned before, this is the first time I have had my knee on the ground in 6th gear. As I recall (dont have the data in front of me) it was 265kmh at the point of turn in an on the deck. It is a pretty wild T1 here and banging out 3 down shifts from full tilt right to full tilt left, while trailing all the way into the apex, to madly get the bike fulltilt back over for the next right that takes you under Dunlop bridge... the bike is very flickable (yes I said flick and meant BMW in the same sentence) due to the massive lower triples and massive forks on the bike being very rigid! No flex in the front end at all. I am going to assist the phenominal German technical staff with any help they may need buttoning up tonight, so till later!

Nate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home