Saturday, June 23, 2007

I have been staring at this little box where I can create this post for 10 minutes now. I do not know where to start. You have heard me say over and over again what motivates me. You all know. Some riders it's feeling like a rockstar, some sponsors, and some.... money. What matters the most in the situation at hand this weekend is people.

It is exactly 6 weeks ago that for the first time in my 5 1/2 seasons of racing in my life, I have been hurt. Hurt and had to miss a race due to injury. Regardless GOD has given me what he has before, a chance, again. The amount of pain from lack of motion and soreness in my knee and wrist from 2 surgeries, has been blown away by what we accomplished today as a TEAM! Going inot this weekend I was realistic. For once I was going to listen to Dr.'s and peers, take it easy. I did. :)

There was the level of focus that can only be induced by something that has again never happened to me. This 6 weeks off of a motorcycle made me realize what and who I was missing. Some days there is enough pain to make you think, then others all you can think of is racing. I can finally say this, I love what I am doing. Yes I know it is hard to beleive, but I just liked riding for our BMW riders and people. If I wanted to make money, I wouldnt be doing this! lol

From practice this morning to now, I have never experienced such a level of focus and support as today. National ASRA Pro Thunderbike qualifying was today. Two rounds of 15 minutes practices this morning left me all swelled up and peircing pain. Only to have found out after a 12 minute qualifying, I had taken the pole position and a new Natl. Thunderbike track record time at VIR for the Thunderbike class! lol I still dont beleive it. The momentum that brought and adrenaline, I felt pretty good. Not great, but good.

There are two Thrunderbike races as this is a combined Regional Pro weekend with the National ASRA Pro weekend. SO CCS Thunderbike was today and the National Thunderbike we qualified for today is tomorrow. As race 6 came closer, ther CCS Tbike race, basically a warm up for the National Tbike regulars, I got that exctied feeling I have not felt for awhile. From flag to flag, led the whole race with the current National Tbike champion in hot pursuit. I looked up twice at T4 (turn 4) where Morton's BMW of Fredericksburg, Va. had their hospitality tent and to see the awesome number of BMW riders with their smiles and hands in the air, it was like a shot of morphine. The pain subsided breifly and gave me the extra I needed for the last 2 laps!

Our Team BMWXPLOR.com/BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta/Morton's BMW in Va., NO ONE could ask for a better team!

Thank youse more than you will ever know!

Time to sleep a bit, then Supertwins at noon and the Natl. Tbike race is on around 5. i hope I have the strengtha nd endurance to go the distance around 5pm.

Cheers,

Nate

4 Comments:

Blogger John Douglas said...

Welcome back, Nate!

I'm sorry I couldn't be there to witness your return to the track -- I'm delighted that it's going well for you, and I hope the pain isn't too troublesome.

Go N8!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Elsie said...

Nate, we (BMWBMW and other BMW riders) are so proud of you. You are a champion and I saw first-hand the excruciating pain you were feeling during the practices on Saturday. But, being a champion and winner pays off and the adrenelin hits, and you fought off the pain for a few laps. The Thunderbike VIR track record is a testimony to your strength. Keep your focus, strength, conviction and we'll see you at Road America in a few weeks!

12:49 PM  
Blogger RaceBikeFan said...

Welcome Back Nate!!! Glad I was there to witness your return, and boy was it a strong one!
Being a fan of yours and watching you over the years I could tell you were hurting in that last race :(, but you pulled through it with style and grace!
Glad to see you back! Can't wait to see you back tearing it up at Summit!

~Kumi - MARRC Corner Worker

12:50 PM  
Blogger My Name is Rhonda said...

Nate - thank you so much for making mine and my son's first VIR event (well, first motorcycle race event ever) one to remember. My 11 year old son (Josh) was thrilled to have met you and told me repeatedly on the way home what a nice guy you are. And he's right - you're a terrific young man and I wish you all the best in your journey not only on the track, but off it as well!
Rhonda

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home